Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Greece saga continues........

The past week and a half have been interesting to say the least.  I have learned more in one week about Greek Architecture than I have in my entire life.  This, to me, is  not the most important thing that I have learned.  I have learned that being the only male in a group of 10 girls is enough to drive anyone crazy.  All of the other students are nice but too much of anything is not necessarily a good thing.  I have also learned that when I feel like when I do things to make others lives easier and my life seems to get harder in return I can get bitter and selfish.  It is not the best quality and I am working in it.  I think next time I will travel alone and see which is better off. 
    After a few days of acclimating myself to Athens Dr. Arbury and the group arrived.  This is when the craziness began.  Dr. Arbury likes to cram as much as possible into every waking hour of the day possible.  Day Began with the group arriving around 2PM and we were off to the races ( well to the Plaka actually). We ran around the shops and the touristy sights before we took a hike after dark up the small mountain across from the Acropolis stopping in every church along the way.
 
     

This is the view of Athens at night across from the Acropolis.













The Parthenon at night.





On the walk home our group got a little lost and found ourselves walking down a street back to the hotel littered with prostitutes.  This was no big deal to some of us.  To others, it was interesting to say the least.  We arrived back at the hotel at around midnight and set the alarm for 6AM, and so it begins.  The next morning, after enjoying the typical Greek breakfast of hard boiled eggs, cheese sandwiches and yogurt with preserves,  we took off walking to the National Archaeology Museum.  Every musuem that we visit is just as wonderful as the next.  I cant possibly talk about them all.  We visit 2-4 EVERY day.  Normally when I visit a gallery I will have a hard time making it through the entire thing in 6-8 hours depending on the museum.  We are running through them.  I have thousands of pictures tha tI will upload to picasa when I am done here.  Don't worry old folks, I will supply a link at the end of this blog.  Anyway I am exhausted and am going to just go through my favorites.  I am sure that these blogs will get shorter as time goes on.




This one is for Nick..... these were some Sweeeeeeet Scarabs.... there were more than I have ever seen in one place....






This is Dr. Arbury that we chase all over Greece. 








Odeon of Herodes Atticus













Parthenon





Ok, its almost 10pm here and im pooped.... I have just about 5000 Greece pictures..... you must wait to see them.... too bad... so sad..... I am going to throw up a few of my favorite and when I have some some ill do some more...our itinerary until the end of the month is crazy but I guess this is school and should be this way.....







sweet bug







This is Sparta, actually where they threw their ugly babies.








Delphi, one of my favorites so far








View from the hotel balcony.










Its a rough life.....









The sunrise this morning in Chania after 2 hours sleep on a boat in a storm so not I am falling asleep doing this.  Its beditme..... goodnight everyone.  After Greece I will try to keep you all more informed but for now this is all you get.  As for that link I promised the old folks... not this time.  Next time maybe..... goodnight all.... peace

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well done my friend. Im not old but I cant wait to see the picasa photos. Try and breathe ok? It's intense but your an old pro :) Keep the blogs coming when you can! Your doing great bud! sleep well!

Tanya said...

Looks SO amazing. I'm enjoying following your adventure and living somewhat vicariously through you.

Tanya said...

Wow....after a few weeks, my comment is still basically the same. Good to feel consistent though! hahaha